CHILD SEX TRAFFICKING IS NOT A MYTH. IT’S A MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY THAT AFFECTS EVERY CORNER OF THE GLOBE.
As 12-year-old Adriana stood in front of the tiny refrigerator in her house, she told us how she would sell her body to men…
just so she could afford to buy rice and beans for her and her brother. A few short months later, we returned to the city where we met Adriana. Her house was bolted up and everyone was gone. Neighbors confirmed our worst fear; she had been trafficked.
*Name changed to protect privacy.
The reality is that for children like Adriana, child trafficking and exploitation are not a myth. They still happen every day around the world.
- $3.00 will buy a child’s virginity in Myanmar.
- 40% of all Thailand’s prostitutes are under 16 years old.
- The bodies of live and murdered babies are used to smuggle drugs and gems across borders in Myanmar.
- In areas of Brazil, it is believed that a girl should lose her virginity to her father.
- For some children, stealing in their community guarantees them the loss of their hand or worse.
We are committed to being a voice for the voiceless. We will speak up and fight for victims like Adriana and work to rescue them and ensure that they will never have to face the same trauma and abuse.
“Now that I have seen, I am responsible.”
– Lana Vasquez